Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mike Gilbert
Calling all Cutters!

Last year we helped to support and run the Get Up and Go! Rowing Pilot programme with Havant Borough Council for people over 55 who want to be more active... we helped with the Open day and supported the 6 week follow-up Learn to Row Course with boats and an evening at Langstone by the Mill. It was funded by Sports England's Active Ageing Programme.

As a result we introduced over 20 new people over 55 to recreational rowing and some of them joined the Cutters and are still enjoying it...

As a result of the pilot, HBC have won an award from Sports England to extend the programme through 2019 and 2020. The plan is that HBC will provide the boats - 2 x St Ayles Skiffs; the use of Northney Marina and a Qualified Coach and subsidise a 6 week Learn to Row Course based at the Marina.

Over the 6 weeks they learn to scull, row in Skiffs, Galleys and Gigs. The Cutters provide a taster in their boats as part of the programme and, on one of the lessons, we host them here by the Mill at Langstone to show how the Club works .

We plan to start again on 27th April over at the Marina with the first Open Day, when anyone over 55 who is not particularly active, or is active but wants to do more, and wants to get out and about in fixed seat rowing boats for pleasure, exploring the Harbour as we do.

After the Open Day 2 x 6 week courses will run on a Wednesday afternoon and early evening.

So can I ask for anyone who is willing to help with the first Open Day on 27th April for an hour or 2 to post here and let me know.  I will draw up a rota so we can cover the whole period. We provide team coffee and cake (any cake bakers out there? Teri??), plus newspapers and happy 'club' atmosphere... So come along...

After 27th, I will post about the lessons once we know how many are signed up after the open Day... At the moment, we have 20+ interested in the first Open Day & one Course is filling up!! ... so it looks a great opportunity to introduce more people to the Cutters!!

If your not sure how you can help, do give me a call...

Mike Gilbert
07767 350512
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Jane F
Hi Mike. Count me in for Saturday 27th please. Jane
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Grahaml
Love to help, I need the exercise.
Graham 

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Apr 2019, at 13:41, Jane Freeman [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mike. Count me in for Saturday 27th please. Jane


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Get-Up-and-Go-Rowing-2019-Programme-tp18318p18326.html
To start a new topic under Langstone Cutters RC, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Langstone Cutters RC, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Teri
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
I can take a hint Mike!!    Promise to get my act together by the 27th and make cake!!  :-)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

RichardH
Hi Mike
I am available on the 27th and can come for up to 4 hours.  Let me know if you need me earlier or later to help with launching or recovery of boats.

Cheers
Richard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

LizW
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
Hi Mike, regret that we are away on 27 Apr, but happy to help at other times if available.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Matt
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
Hi Mike,
I’m supposed to be moving house on 27th, but that’s looking a little touch and go at the moment.
I’ll stay in touch with you and if it doesn’t happen I’m happy to help on 27th.
Also happy to help and get involved with anything I can do any other time too.
Matt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Tom Bennett
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
I'll come along anytime on the Saturday if it helps Mike.
Tom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mo Evans
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
I’m free on Saturday, and can help out again.  Mo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Marilyn Rogers
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
Hi Mike I'm free on Saturday happy to help.Marilyn.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mike Gilbert
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
Thanks to all those offering to help... Jane, Graham, Richard, Tom, Mo and Marilyn...  plus possibly Teri (?). 

Right now the weather is looking like last year - a bit damp and blowy!! However we still rowed last year, and still had lots of interest... So this has been advertised and HBC confirmed that up to 26 people expressed interest so far, so we will hold the day anyway...

From HBC will be Maddison Borlase-Bune, the Project Manager of the Get Up and Go programme; she is new to HBC but very excited by the project; Simon Hasted who helped run the Pilot last year.

The roles we need to fulfil are:
  • Meet at 09.00 and help launch both Skiffs onto the water and tie up by the Pontoon; 
  • Meet people as they come in and welcome them;
  • Have a cup of tea or coffee and cake (watch the allergies);
  • Get them to sign the waiver and explain how the day works: 
    • This is just a Taster!
    • A little light rowing and understanding how it works;
    • A friendly chat in the Unit;
  • Walk some groups across to the boats that will be on the pontoon;
  • Walk others back;
  • When you can, jump in a boat and have a row; so we have 2 good rowers in a boat with 2 novices; 
  • We go for a little paddle - Myself & Kate cox them around in the Marina;
  • We ask for a bit of feedback;
  • We ask if anyone wants to sign up for the 6 week course? The course consists of:
    • Wednesday afternoon sessions 4 pm and 6pm though the summer;
    • £20 for all 6 (subsidised by HBC);
    • Over the 6 weeks we introduce St Ayles Skiffs; Sculling; Claydons; Solent Galleys and Gigs as well as;
    • One evening session with the Cutters at Langstone to enjoy the flavour of being part of a Club;
    • It's rowing for pleasure!!! 
  • When you have had enough, of course take your leave... 
Many thanks, and if anyone else can lend an hour or so to help out, still very welcome. 

Those that came last year ranked rowing as the most popular Get Up and Go activity, and the Cutters the nicest, friendliest of people... as we would of course expect!! 

Happy days,

Mike Gilbert
Langstone Adventure Rowing
+ 44 (0) 7767 350 512
+ 44 (0) 2392 451 846

"Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat." Jean-Paul Sartre



On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 10:22, Mike Gilbert [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Calling all Cutters!

Last year we helped to support and run the Get Up and Go! Rowing Pilot programme with Havant Borough Council for people over 55 who want to be more active... we helped with the Open day and supported the 6 week follow-up Learn to Row Course with boats and an evening at Langstone by the Mill. It was funded by Sports England's Active Ageing Programme.

As a result we introduced over 20 new people over 55 to recreational rowing and some of them joined the Cutters and are still enjoying it...

As a result of the pilot, HBC have won an award from Sports England to extend the programme through 2019 and 2020. The plan is that HBC will provide the boats - 2 x St Ayles Skiffs; the use of Northney Marina and a Qualified Coach and subsidise a 6 week Learn to Row Course based at the Marina.

Over the 6 weeks they learn to scull, row in Skiffs, Galleys and Gigs. The Cutters provide a taster in their boats as part of the programme and, on one of the lessons, we host them here by the Mill at Langstone to show how the Club works .

We plan to start again on 27th April over at the Marina with the first Open Day, when anyone over 55 who is not particularly active, or is active but wants to do more, and wants to get out and about in fixed seat rowing boats for pleasure, exploring the Harbour as we do.

After the Open Day 2 x 6 week courses will run on a Wednesday afternoon and early evening.

So can I ask for anyone who is willing to help with the first Open Day on 27th April for an hour or 2 to post here and let me know.  I will draw up a rota so we can cover the whole period. We provide team coffee and cake (any cake bakers out there? Teri??), plus newspapers and happy 'club' atmosphere... So come along...

After 27th, I will post about the lessons once we know how many are signed up after the open Day... At the moment, we have 20+ interested in the first Open Day & one Course is filling up!! ... so it looks a great opportunity to introduce more people to the Cutters!!

If your not sure how you can help, do give me a call...

Mike Gilbert
07767 350512


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Get-Up-and-Go-Rowing-2019-Programme-tp18318.html
To start a new topic under Langstone Cutters RC, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Langstone Cutters RC, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Teri
Morning Mike - definitely Teri!    Set aside tomorrow as a baking day and see you first thing Saturday xx
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mike Gilbert
Dear Teri, volunteers and all... the weather seems to have settled into an outlook for very strong winds on Saturday... 30-40+ mph... overcast and bit chilly... 🙁

It is unlikely we will be able to actually row out of the Marina... which is a bit like last! However the tide is a neap, so low in the Marina and as sheltered as we can get.

So I am going to start by putting one boat on the water and see how we get on. We will still host the tea, coffee and a chat and show them the boats, one outside the Unit. Maybe if we can put a couple of the hardy ones going for a short paddle inside the Marina... and push the Cutters and classes in May/June.

If it seems ok, we can quickly launch a second boat... 

You all ok with that??

We could postpone, but no guarantee on future dates and weather!? With over 20 people having expressed interest, HBC agree we should keep the doors 'open'... 

Mike

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, 09:21 Teri [via Langstone Cutters RC], <[hidden email]> wrote:
Morning Mike - definitely Teri!    Set aside tomorrow as a baking day and see you first thing Saturday xx


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Get-Up-and-Go-Rowing-2019-Programme-tp18318p18444.html
To start a new topic under Langstone Cutters RC, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Langstone Cutters RC, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

RichardH
Hi Mike

Yes I am fine with your suggestion of short sheltered rows in the marina as per last year,  People will enjoy being in a boat and having a row even if only briefly and with 20 people interested it must go on.
Last year we managed to get the second boat in so I agree keep it as an option

see you Saturday
Richard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Teri
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
yep - I'm ok with that.  See you Saturday
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mo Evans
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
I'll be there at 10.00am, free until we get blown away!  Mo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Christine
In reply to this post by Mike Gilbert
Hi Mike as mentioned to you Marcus and I will come over for a couple of hours from 9am. Christine
Christine
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Mike Gilbert
Christine, Marcus, Jane, John, Marylin, Graham, Teri, Tom, Richard, Liz and Mo...

So on Saturday we had 22 people turned up to have a chat and a taster coastal rowing  session; in spite of the weather. 

While we did not get a row, everyone (bar one) got in a boat and tried it out.... of that number, at least 14 have already signed up for the courses. And one chap dropped in the sign up for Langstone Cutters membership.

So many thanks to you all, with Kate 
McNicol, who helped make the event a success... all the comments about the friendly reception and enjoyable time made it worth while.

So thank you from me as well...

Maddy and Simon from HBC were very pleased with the result.

The courses start on 15 May at 3pm and 6pm... so wish us luck...

Cheers,

Mike 

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, 07:54 Christine [via Langstone Cutters RC], <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mike as mentioned to you Marcus and I will come over for a couple of hours from 9am. Christine
Christine



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Get-Up-and-Go-Rowing-2019-Programme-tp18318p18466.html
To start a new topic under Langstone Cutters RC, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Langstone Cutters RC, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Get Up and Go! Rowing 2019 Programme

Christine
Well done Mike, that was a great result considering the weather.
Christine
Christine