Eastney Cruising Association Rowing Weekend 8/9 June
This just in...
Dear Gig, Galley or Skiff Rower,
We’d to like to invite your club to an exciting opportunity to come to Eastney Cruising Association, Portsmouth for a fun weekend event and grab the chance to win trophies for fixed seat coastal rowing boats. This will be the third year of our increasingly popular event.
This year we also coincide with the national D-Day celebrations and a huge public firework display on Southsea Common on Saturday evening 8th. June.
Our large clubhouse is at the entrance to beautiful Langstone Harbour, and has sheltered launching and easy access to the eastern Solent.
This is a WEEKEND long event to be held on the weekend of 8th/9th June 2019 offering:
- A full Rowing Race Programme all weekend including:
- Saturday - sprints for all boats and classes PLUS the “Langstone Fairway Challenge” – a 3-mile Coastal Challenge.
- Sunday - the 7-mile Solent "Cockleshell Challenge".
- Safety Boats and RIBS / Secure car and trailer parking.
- Professionally run clubhouse with full facilities including galley (open for breakfast and lunches) and (discounted) bar. Also a BBQ late on Saturday afternoon on our panoramic balcony.
- Charity collection - this year our nominated charity is combatstress.org.uk a charity supporting veterans' mental health.
- Live entertainment at our clubhouse Saturday night 8th June
- Local camping/caravan/tent facilities – just a short walk from our clubhouse see www.southsealeisurepark.com
- “The Cockleshell Challenge” Trophy, Sprint and Class Trophies and commemorative medals.
Our club is situated near the site of the WWII Royal Marines training ground and particularly the famous "Cockleshell Heroes", hence the name of our trophy race. This is around 7 mile race from Eastney - along Southsea sea front and back via the Solent Forts – circuit time of around an hour and a half.
The boats recommended for inclusion are Cornish Pilot Gigs (both wooden race and GRP training gigs), Traditional Solent Galleys (only 7 left in the world!), the new St Ayles Skiffs (150 on the water world-wide and growing), Claydon Skiffs, East Coast Gigs, Celtic Long Boats, Bursledon Gigs etc. We also plan a separate stare for Sea Kayaks. Details TBC.
We’d be delighted if you would be our guests for this weekend.
Please contact in the first Instance Bob Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 0788 4070 492.
Otherwise you can contact ECA Office on 02392 734103.
So we can refine our planning, please let us know as soon as possible if you are interested and we will immediately post you a hard copy of the attached poster to display to your members.
Bob Evans / Treasurer ECA Gig Section
Jim Hogan / Chairman ECA Gig Section
Re: Eastney Cruising Association Rowing Weekend 8/9 June
You beat me to it Chris!!!!
For those who have not taken part previously, the Saturday will be more of a fun day with some sprint races and a 3 mile race and the Sunday will be the 7 mile Cockleshell Challenge around one of the forts in the Solent.
This is a great weekend in a fantastic venue with excellent hosts.
Please post if you are interested and please state which days you would like to take part.