Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat - more suggestions please

12

Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat - more suggestions please

Rachel
This post was updated on .
Dear members
                We need to choose a name for our new boat!  Please post your suggestions below and we will organise a vote to choose people's  favourite. If you should happen to think of two names which go together ( like the Weymouth Gigs Tristan and Isolde or our very own Millie and Lottie named after the Millenium Lottery fund ) then we would be future proof too!

Rachel

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

ron and cheryl
How about Boaty McBoatface?

Seriously, how about Shelley?
Dee

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Dee
If she was ordered in November , how about Poppy ?

Dee

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Jonathan R
Sometimes whilst we enjoy ourselves, we have the opportunity to remember.

Such as;  Help for Heroes, Armistice Day, Relatives, Friends and Lovers.

How about

'Forget me not'

Jonathan

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Andrew B
This post was updated on .
I propose Blue Belle

she's blue and feminine

Belle is a traditional boat name

and many Cutters use the Blue Bell at Emsworth....Landlord and general good egg around Emsworth , Giles Babb,. might even sponsor the oars and seats as happens in many rowing clubs, in return for having the pub name emblazoned on the shaft, but that would be a bonus.
Andrew

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

John Child
I second Andrew's suggestion - Blue Belle - good thinking Andrew!

John

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Les Goodall
‘ WINNER ‘ then win or lose we can always say we rowed the ‘ WINNER’ 🤣

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Chris Partridge
Administrator
Also fits in with Bembridge and Sallyport as names of local places

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

James Griffin
Chattanooga Choo Choo because a Celtic Longboat, is like the song, smooth & strong and you are never likely to forget it (by Manhatattan Transfer)

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Alan Harding
Local name and link to our other Lady!

     LADY CHI

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Mark Taylor
Regarding a name or names for a  longboat that is CELTIC rather than Anglo Saxon, and considering we are likely to compete with Welsh clubs. How about naming one boat Regni, if we obtained a second boat, it could be named Belgae.  Why? You may ask, well these were the names of the celtic tribes who populated what we now call Hampshire and Sussex before being settled by Anglo Saxons, in the post Roman period. We could take the naming one step further by combining the old tribal names with modern Welsh calling them Ysbryd Y Regni and Ysbryd Y Belgae. Meaning Spirit of the Regni  or Belgae.

I think Ichenor Sailing club tried this but alas, they named their boat Iccanor, an Anglo Saxon name which means the landing place of Icca.
Mark Taylor
Phone 023 9248 4492
Mobile 0777 226 3299
Email md_taylor@live.co.uk

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

michael
Well said Mark, those are lovely, meaningful names. Michael

Sent from my iPhone

On 1 Dec 2019, at 20:37, Mark Taylor [via Langstone Cutters RC] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regarding a name or names for a  longboat that is CELTIC rather than Anglo Saxon, and considering we are likely to compete with Welsh clubs. How about naming one boat Regni, if we obtained a second boat, it could be named Belgae.  Why? You may ask, well these were the names of the celtic tribes who populated what we now call Hampshire and Sussex before being settled by Anglo Saxons, in the post Roman period. We could take the naming one step further by combining the old tribal names with modern Welsh calling them Ysbryd Y Regni and Ysbryd Y Belgae. Meaning Spirit of the Regni  or Belgae.

I think Ichenor Sailing club tried this but alas, they named their boat Iccanor, an Anglo Saxon name which means the landing place of Icca.
Mark Taylor
Phone 023 9248 4492
Mobile 0777 226 3299
Email [hidden email]

http://langstone-cutters-rc.1095392.n5.nabble.com/Choosing-a-name-for-the-Celtic-Longboat-tp20908p20933.html
NAML

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Frances
Sisters for Gladys and Mabel....
Agnes?   Edith? Maud, Hilda?

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Rachel
How about Selkie the legendary Celtic creature which changes between human and seal form.

Rachel

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Steve Woods
Mark,

I like this theme thank you for the research , undoubtedly they will be reduced to "Reggie"  and "Bel" that's quite nice,  like Sally and Lady. I did wonder about  LONGSTONE  I believe used before Langstone but guess it will not be anyway Celtic .

Quite fancy a Celtic cross style graphic ...

Cheers
Steve Woods
07876 889 887
stevewoods583@btinternet.com

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Mark Savill
Keeping the female tradition when naming Boats, how about Langstone Princess which would be a nice Sister name for Langstone Lady.  or Langstone Lass.

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Rachel
Hi all,
        If you are secretly harbouring a brilliant idea for a boat name please could you post by Sunday after which I will post a link to vote for your favourite.

Rachel

Administrator
No referendum please! They never turn out well. Better to have a short list for discussion at the AGM.

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat

Andrew B
Decisions by committee ? Whatever next ?

I want my vote, that's what we were promised....we vote, and we get what the majority voted for, I'm not aware of any recent cases where that hasn't worked.
Andrew

Re: Choosing a name for the Celtic Longboat - any more ideas by Sunday 6pm please

MartinS
I like Les's "Winner".
Following the theme of features of the harbour, but going even more local...
Sweare Deep and Girte Rithe
12